If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.

Yesterday was the day of my colonoscopy and endoscopy. Monday I took the day off of work to just rest and drink a lot of fluids. I fasted for two days instead of one because I wanted to be 100% sure that everything would be visible. The morning of, I had to check in at 8:30. Despite them asking me to not drink fluids that morning – I did have some water because I always have a hard time getting my blood drawn. I knew I would need to be hydrated. Everyone at the outpatient center was extremely nice. Check in was really quick. I went upstairs and filled out paperwork. Didn’t have a long wait, and went right back into my room.

The issues came when they tried to get my IV in, just like I suspected. Although – because of the laxative it was 1000x worse than it has ever been before. Usually it takes about 3-4 tries. Well, the first nurse came in and she tried 3 times. The second RN came in and tried 3 times. Then a nurse anesthetist came in and he gave it 3 tries. Then another nurse anesthetist came in and gave it a try. Finally an anesthesiologist came in and she got my IV in. All in all it took 5 people and 11 attempts.photo (17)

I will say that I kept a good sense of humor, but after try # 4 – tears were running down my face. They kept saying my veins would not advance. One nurse flicked my right hand so hard she told me she was just bruising it and kept apologizing. The way my arms look – you wouldn’t think they were as kind as they were. Everyone was extremely pleasant. One of the nurses even held my hand for a few minutes and tried to make me laugh.

photo (18)They had to do the colonoscopy scheduled after mine before mine because of how long the IV  took. They rolled me into my room – and they let my boyfriend come back to see me. He is so amazing at lifting my spirits, and reminding me that everything is alright. My nurse, Jimmy, was talking with us and my BF was looking at this picture of your intestines and asked where all they would be looking. So Jimmy charted out how and where they would be going with the scope.

Once they sedated me – it was like nothing happened. I woke up, and its all on video. haha. Apparently I was convinced they did not have enough time to see everything. The doctor came in and told me that everything looked good on the scope. Crohn’s Disease has been ruled out thankfully. They took a couple of biopsies in my small intestine to send off to check for Celiac. So now, I just have to wait.

Luckily, I can return to my grain free diet. My doctor even suggested I start it again because I feel better on it. He let me know I have some hemorrhoid issues, and gave me a prescription to help me pass things easier. It feels like I am back at square one, but I know I need to be patient. I am looking forward to starting over and getting healthier! Especially since my guts have been cleaned out!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s