I stole this recipe from Sacramento Street! So amazing! It was a big hit at Sunday dinner. All my friends said it was their favorite soup! Sacramento Street has teamed up with Peas and Love to make a list of extremely healthy recipes. I have made quite the list of gluten free vegetarian and pescatarian recipes from these blogs to try! I am really excited about them all, and I will hopefully be sharing my successes with you!
Mexican Vegetable Soup with Lime and Avocado
Serves four to six.
1 tablespoon light olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-rounds
8 ounces green beans, tipped and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
6 cups of chicken stock
1/4 cup cooked hominy
2 teaspoons chilpotle chilies, minced
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
cilantro leaves, for garnish
6 wedges lime
– Warm the oil in a soup pot, add onion, garlic, oregano, and salt, and cook over medium-low heat until the onion softens.
– Add the carrots, beans, and tomatoes; pour in the heated stock and simmer.
– After 20 minutes add the hominy and then gradually stir in the chilpotle chilies to taste.
– Cook another 5 minutes; then taste for salt.
– Ladle the soup into bowls; garnish with the avocado and cilantro leaves. Serve the lime on the side.